Tuesday, January 3, 2012

My Baby's 6 Pack

Hello all! I hope everyone had a wonderful holiday season.  If you're like me, you love to see it come, enjoy it while it lasts and almost whoop in celebration when it's over.  Our holidays were spent passing around a cold.  Little Aimee got it first, with lots of coughing and wheezing on Christmas day itself.  My cold quickly followed, and I spent New Year's Eve going through an entire box of tissues and trying not to sneeze all over the puzzle we were doing for entertainment.  Wes came down with his a couple of days later and is taking longer to get over it than we would really prefer.  I am happy to announce that Aimee has fully recovered and during the course of her illness has seen the wonders of napping.  How wonderful it has been!  Now we can only hope she continues this!

The title of this post seems strange at first, given the supposed chubbiness that every baby should possess.  Don't get me wrong; my baby is not excluded from this category.  But as her 6 month birthday came and went on Christmas Eve, little Aimee developed many new talents that she loves to show off to anyone who will look her way.  These include sitting up, attempting to hold her own bottle, and just smiling for long periods of time to get a reaction.  What we find as one of the funniest of these, however, is this semi-crunch, semi-situp that she does while grunting and squawking.  This little maneuver of raising her head and feet to her chest has been named by my husband as the 'fat lady situp' and is now a common phrase in our house when we see her doing it. I am convinced these 'fat lady situps' are the reason for her increased strength and is probably the reason she seems so much more happy.  Though this can't possibly seem any more politically incorrect there really isn't another term we can use to describe this act.  And we see her doing it everywhere... In her car seat, in the tub, on the floor with her toys, in her crib in the morning when she wakes up. I walked into check on her during a nap and instead of sleeping, there she was, going through her aerobic exercise routine.

Now, make no doubt about it, this new talent has brought me to the realization that I am WAY behind in childproofing my home... And looking around I see so many hazards.  I find myself panicking when I see a dime on the floor by my dresser, or a computer cord I can just imagine her trying to chew on.  The thought of all the hazards in my home make me want to leave everything behind and go live in a sterile bubble... away from everything I have brought into the house that could harm my child.  I have, however, determined that situation is far from reality and have done lots of research on childproofing, knowing that I may never be able to make my home a perfect sanctuary for babies.  In light of this new realization I thought I would post a few websites I found helpful with tips on making your surroundings safe for the new mover in the home in case anyone else out there freaks out about it as much as I do!  Anyway, happy new year, all! May 2012 bring you much happiness and lots of learning opportunities!

BabyCenter Tips
About tips 
ParentWonder Tips
Parents Magazine Tips

No comments:

Post a Comment