Wednesday, December 7, 2011

The Swing: My Baby's Addiction and My Dirty Little Secret

In relation the last post, I have decided to voice a little about my opinion on baby swings.  God bless whomever it was that invented this incredible device!  As the mom of a very fussy baby who refuses to sleep at all times, I have decided that the swing is a tool that every mom must have to get through everyday life. Research has suggested that less than 5% of babies actually require a swing for deep sleep.  I guess I must have a kid within this small range.  There are countless websites that make suggestions for proper sleep in babies and starting sleep training as early as 3 months.  But, if you have followed my posts at all, you already know that sleep training has proved to be impossible for my little one.  I did find a website that made these common suggestions, and also gave some information on the research of the swing.
  1. Don't Make Eye Contact: After lots of experience in trying to get the little one to even close her eyes, 'W' and I have discovered that even peeking over the crib has had fatal outcomes.  Looking at her in her swing has also shown to be effective in the art of waking the monster within.
  2. Keep a Cooler Temp: To me, this one seems to be a given.  We all know we sleep better when it's cooler and bundled up in blankets.  This is no different for infants.  A velcro swaddle blanket and warm pajamas are guaranteed to keep baby comfy in a cooler environment.
  3. Make Some Noise: Nearly every parenting book out there will have a section dedicated to the use of white noise machines.  Whether you use a washing machine, dishwasher, or pay the money for one of these fancy machines, this is a subject that is constantly preached about.  We have found that the ticking of a clock and a small fan in the room does wonders for uninterrupted sleep.
  4. Time the Diaper Thing: After weeks of following a newborn's almost perfect patterns of eating, pooing (often simultaneously), and sleeping, parents often have a difficult time figuring out when it is appropriate to change baby's diaper.  Contrary to popular belief, baby doesn't need a change after every feeding or crying jag.  My suggestion to this conundrum is the diapers with wetness indicator. (Pampers and Huggies both use these). Put a diaper on baby just before final bedtime that has a higher absorbancy than the ones you use during the day and let it be.  Don't wake the little one with an unnecessary diaper change.
  5. Do the Swing Thing: Often times the rest of these suggestions do not do the trick for baby and she will continue to wake up every 2 or 3 hours.  After doing this nonstop through 4 or 5 months mom and dad are tired and aching for a longer night's sleep.  Dr. Karp, who wrote the popular book The Happiest Baby on the Block, says that throwing a swing into the mix of your nightly routine can help baby settle in for the night.  "It's a myth that you're starting a bad habit," he said about using it to get the little one to sleep for the night.  As I mentioned earlier, only 5% of babies often need this technique, you can gradually stop using it as she learns to better soothe herself.
Lil' Boo Boo asleep in her swing at 2 months

 Sleep seems to be an evasive topic among parents and doctors.  Differing opinions and hot tempers often lead to disagreements that don't need to come around.  As I continue to learn more and more about my daughter's elusive nocturnal habits, I have realized just how much babies have to learn in their first year.  We, as parents and adults, often don't give them the credit they deserve.  If I were trying to learn a new thing every day that was crucial to the way I would live my life in the future I would probably have a hard time sleeping, too.  So give baby a break.  Let them follow their own course.  Eventually she will do what she needs to do to get her growth and development up to par.  So, in light of the season, Silent Night, everyone. Sleep peacefully and remember all the parents tonight who won't be!

No comments:

Post a Comment